Monday 1 April 2019

What a marvellous image the Nomad was. I found it so compelling, inviting me to look at my own nomadic thread and explore poems and other avenues to get into that world and way of being. 

I am not a Nomad in the usual sense of the word but I could identify my nomadic thread in the fact that I have no firm roots in any one culture or country. Being of Portuguese origin, born in South Africa, a country comprising so many diverse cultures and customs, and being educated in a British system I don’t ‘belong’ anywhere particular. 

And so when wondering and wandering in terms of what I was going to create I found myself thinking of a globe, being a Nomad in the world of humanity. Quite a challenge for me to produce technically, and I still don’t know if it is going to work!

I started with an oasis ball and covered it with letters forming the word Nomad in eight different languages (all I could fit in)

Then I traced the letters

And transferred it onto cloth.

Bondawebed the letters and lightly quilted them. Over and above the usual top, batting, backing sandwich I added a layer of snow sisal in the hope that it will make the final product more robust and able to hold itself in a sphere form.

And have started cutting and satin stitching the edges

And I just hope it will all hold up. Watch this space!



I have tried to attach photos within this text but have not been able to so will send a separate post with photos.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my - this is just amazing Ana - so clever and ambitious - I can't wait to see it once it is complete. It is also lovely to find out a little more about you too!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to leave your name if you make a comment. Thank you.