Tuesday 4 June 2019

The Pier - Denise

I really liked Stephanie's photo with its very vibrant dark colors: the charged sky turning from blue gray to blue that seems to merge with the sea. Above lampposts a clearer part, like the announcement of lightning and a more merciful sky.

These colors made me think of the color of our jeans. Naturally I started on this path with the challenge of making the most of this canvas. Later, I realized that the famous 'Levis' jeans dated from the same era as the Clevedon Pier, it was fun!

The bottom of the quilt is made of overlaid of strips of torn Jeans, (recycled) leaving the naturl fringes of the fabric. I kept the "blue" threads that were frayed on the weft, to embroider the 'pillar' and the balustrade.

The central circle consists of various materials colored with textile paint: gauze, torn papers, colored silk fibers, organza.

For the 'pillar', I worked with the software Photofiltre: selecting of part of the pillar, and application of the filter "black and white". Then I reproduced my drawing on water-soluble stabiliser and embroidered it on organza, using the recovered blue threads mentioned earlier for the blue balustrade. I then cut the organza with textile iron. And to give a little light, I inserted raw silk fibers that I heated, to amalgamate, and slightly colour.

The blue Jeans yarns are also applied in the lower part for the floor of the pier.
I'm not sure that my explanations are very clear ...
Here is "The Pier"

1 comment:

  1. Wow Denise - this is a fabulous quilt and a super interpretation of Stephanie's photo. This past weekend was in fact there was a celebration party on the pier to commemorate 150 years of the pier's opening.

    Thank you for your excellent description of how thy made the quilt - so many interesting techniques. And bravo for recycling thy jeans too - even the threads!

    I translated your description into English for those followers of our blog who don't speak French. Do you think it would be good to have your description of your methods printed out for people to read in our gallery? I am sure the visitors would love to know more.
    Bravo on a superb quilt.

    Claire
    x

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to leave your name if you make a comment. Thank you.